Sunday, September 13, 2009

Creative Commons and FLOSS

This lecture was about Creative Commons (CC) and FLOSS (Free/Libre Open Source Software).


In the first half of the lecture Adam talked about CC. He seemed very passionate about CC as he was wearing one of their t-shirts, as well as a LINUX hat (I Think). I suppose it is understandable to be passionate about something like CC. CC is a good answer to the problems that face many artists with Copyright. It is a great way to share your creations how you want to share them. You control the restrictions on your work and let people use it how you think is ethical. As Creative Commons is a free, not for profit organisation it is evident that they have designed it to benefit its users not themselves. Well I suppose it benefits them as well. I think it is an effective way to ensure control of the content that you are willing to share online.

FREE SOFTWARE!!
I have tried Mozilla FireFox before and had no problems with it at all. My mum uses it on her computer as her 'computer whiz' friend put it on there for her. She doesn't really know the difference between the two and neither do I. They both do the job and that's all that matters.

I have no problem with any of the free software I have tried. I downloaded the Open Office program and I thoroughly enjoyed using it. I just had a bit of a play with it and I found that it was pretty much as good as Microsoft Word. It doesn't have all the perks, like the layouts and word art that Microsoft has, but who can complain if its for free! It has heaps of fonts and various different bullet points, backgrounds and even sounds to experiment with. I had fun playing around with it. The download process had no problems at all. Which is good because I hate waiting too long for anything. Overall a good program! It is definitely worth the ..... downloading time!

No comments:

Post a Comment